- Crystal microdermabrasion systems are the traditional treatment of choice and rely on tiny crystals that are gently applied onto the skin to perform the exfoliating process
- Crystal-Free microdermabrasion systems operate without the need for crystals
- The exfoliation process occurs when an exfoliating tip which makes contact with the skin
- In both crystal and Crystal-Free microdermabrasion systems the dead skin cells are gently removed away from the face, neck, arms and any area that is treated
What are the benefits of the new Dermapod Crystal Microdermabrasion machine in the aesthetic centre, compared with the previous Mattioli Microdermabrasion machine?
- I believe that it is important to be at the forefront of medical knowledge and technology to deliver the best care that I can for my patients
- As such, I have recently acquired a new Dermapod Microdermabrasion machine
- The New Dermapod Crystal machine is a state of the art Microdermabrasion device
- It delivers a more controlled flow of crystals enabling an even more complete and thorough treatment
- There is less wastage of crystals, so there are fewer crystals left behind to brush off the skin at the end of the treatment
- Larger areas can be treated more easily, so it is faster and more efficient at treating arms, legs, chests and backs
- Overall, the treatment is even more relaxing than with our former Mattioli Microdermabrasion system
Who can benefit from Microdermabrasion?
- Everyone – men and women of any skin type or colour
- Skin that is:
- Sun damaged
- Can be rejuvenated and refreshed
- Blotchiness, uneven skin tones and texture will also be improved
- Even normal skin can be made to look fresher with a warm glow
What areas can be treated?
- The most common areas that are treated are the face and neck
- In addition we can treat the:
- Any body area can be treated
Why does the skin benefit from Microdermabrasion?
- Approximately every 28 days we create a new layer of skin
- As new cells form they push their way to the surface and then dead cells settle on the surface
- This can cause enlarged pores, clogged pores, a bumpy uneven texture, and a dull appearance
- As we age this process slows down leading to the appearance of older skin with less radiance
How does Crystal Microdermabrasion work?
- Microdermabrasion is a gentle exfoliation that is performed with a rough applicator tip
- The tip passes over the skin’s surface, and creates a gentle vacuum
- The tip gently exfoliates approximately 20-25 microns of dead skin cells of the outermost layer (stratum corneum)
- Once removed, it reveals one’s own fresher, younger looking skin beneath
- One microdermabrasion is equal to three 30% glycolic peels or one 70% peel
Is Microdermabrasion the same as Dermabrasion?
- No, Microdermabrasion is NOT the same as Dermabrasion
- Dermabrasion is a much more aggressive procedure which has to be done in an operating room, whereas Microdermabrasion is much gentler and can be performed in the office
How many treatments do you need?
- This treatment is meant to be progressive not aggressive
- Generally results are more noticeable after the third treatment
- After the first session the skin will appear fresher, cleaner, smoother and softer for some clients
- Usually treatments are performed every 4 weeks, but can be done more frequently
- A typical course of treatment is a series of six microdermabrasion sessions
- Maintenance treatments are suggested once every one to one and a half months
How long does it take?
- The actual treatment usually takes 30-40 minutes, depending on the body area
What are the side effects?
- One may experience a slight tingling, and afterward the skin may feel tighter, as if exposed to the wind or sun
- The skin may appear slightly flushed and this generally fades in 12-24 hours
- If you suffer with cold sores, you should be cold sore free prior to a treatment to avoid the risk of them spreading
- You need to discuss with the technician if you have any of these conditions: rosacea, dermatitis, skin cancers, easy bruising, Hepatitis C, AIDS, or are on blood thinners or Accutane
- If you use Retin A products or any skin care products that irritate the skin you should stop them for at least 2-3 days before and do not restart until 2-3 days after a treatment
- Even though there is no danger if you are pregnant, we do not treat pregnant women
- There is no danger if you are nursing
- For One week before and after your treatment please stop using the following treatments and products:
- Electrolysis, waxing, depilatories, masks, other Glycolic or Lactic Treatments or Dermabrasion
- Tretinoin (Vitamin A Acid creams) and Glycolic Acids
- Loofa or other types of sponges
- Be sure to inform your doctor of:
- History of sensitive skin, eczema, lupus or other autoimmune disease
- Current medications
- History of sun sensitivity
- If you are planning to have Injections for wrinkles, or laser hair removal, it is recommended to have those 24 hours apart from a Microdermabrasion
What is the greatest advantage of microdermabrasion?
- Probably the single biggest advantage that microdermabrasion has over alternative skin treatments is that a microdermabrasion patient can return to normal daily activities after receiving the treatment
- Many other skin treatments used for the same skin conditions involve post-treatment swelling and require days off work
- This makes microdermabrasion an ideal treatment for people wanting improved skin without disrupting their daily life over it
What happens during a Microdermabrasion treatment?
- At your first visit a Microdermabrasion technician will provide a free consultation
- During the consultation she will discuss the benefits of Microdermabrasion, explain the procedure and benefits to you and answer any questions that you may have
- Furthermore she will explain how the procedure works and how many treatments you will need, and provide you with a price quote
- She will also ask you a series of questions to determine if you are a good candidate for the procedure and to determine your skin type and sensitivity
- After your FREE consultation the technician will call in Dr. Vignjevic
- He will assess your skin type and whether Microdermabrasion would be suitable for you
- In addition, he will answer any further questions that you may have
- You cannot be treated by the technician unless you are assessed by Dr. Vignjevic first
- If you decide to go ahead with a treatment, photographs will be taken of the treatment area
- These photographs are strictly for your chart and will not be released or used without your permission
- Your privacy is of the utmost importance to us
- The technician will cleanse your face making sure that all make-up is properly removed prior to your treatment
- It is not necessary to remove mascara, lip stick or lip liner
- The technician will place a surgical cap over your hair and ears to prevent crystals from going into those areas
- You will lie down on your back on a treatment bed
- Prior to your Microdermabrasion, the technician will offer you an optional enzyme mask to increase the benefits of your treatment
- Masks of this type help the subsequent treatment loosen and remove dead, devitalized skin cells
- The technician will place a fresh, sterilized tip onto the tubing of the Microdermabrasion machine
- The machine is then turned on and its setting will be adjusted for your skin type
- The technician moves the small sterilized hand piece over your skin in short sweeping motion
- This is done in up to 4 directions on each part of the face
- Extra treatment may be done to stubborn areas
- You may feel a gentle suction on your skin and a gritty feeling as the granules remove a thin layer of dead skin cells
- There is no bleeding, pain, needles or cutting with this procedure
- After the Microdermabrasion is completed, the technician uses a soft brush to remove any residual crystals
- A calming mask may be applied immediately afterward
- Masks are calming, soothing and provided added hydration
- Finally, sunscreen is applied, and the treatment is complete
- You will be provided with a booklet of after-care instructions and the technician will recommend specific products to take care of your skin after the treatment.
Other Important Points for the first 3 days:
- You may apply makeup 3 to 4 hours after your treatment
- Avoid abrasive sponges for 1 week after your treatment
- Avoid sun exposure
- DO NOT pick, peel, scrape, scratch or wax your skin
- If your skin is dry use moisturizer as many times a day as you like
- If you develop a cold sore, let Dr. Vignjevic know this immediately as it could spread into the area of the treatment
- It is very important NOT to EXERCISE for 24 hours after a treatment
- Perspiration will produce a stinging sensation on newly treated skin which can take several hours to dissipate
Which aesthetic products or procedures can be combined with crystal microdermabrasion?
- Medical Facials
- This is a clinical facial, using pharmaceutical grade products by our qualified staff
- This is a relaxing, enjoyable treatment which leaves the skin silky and hydrated
- Recommended for:
- Photodamage (sun damage)
- Aging Skin
- Dull Skin
- Skin that needs rejuvenation
- To learn more about medical facials, please click here
Do I need to get a doctor’s referral to set up an appointment?
- No, a referral is not necessary
- You can phone the office directly to set up a free consultation with one of our staff members
When can I start having treatments?
- For your convenience, the services above are available in my office
What if you are interested to learn more?
If you would like to learn more:
- To view a video clip about this procedure, please click here
- Please click on the underlined links above
- E-Mail Us
- Or call our aesthetic centre directly at (905) 549-7873 to book a free consultation with one of our knowledgeable technicians
Doctor V interviews medical aesthetic technician Laura about microdermabrasion:
Laura has been working in our aesthetic centre for two years
Doctor V: What do patients enjoy most about microdermabrasion?
Laura: One of the things patients enjoy most about microdermabrasion is that it is a very effective form of exfoliation with great rejuvenating benefits, but without the downtime or side effects of some of the more aggressive treatments available. Patients see marked improvement to their skin but can have the treatment done even over their lunch hour without having to change their regular routine. I also think patients find the treatment very enjoyable and relaxing to have done, as it includes a rehydrating mask and facial massage after the exfoliation.
Doctor V: How long does the treatment take?
Laura: Microdermabrasion takes approximately 45-60 minutes depending on the skin type and any conditions present.
Doctor V: What do you enjoy most about doing a micro?
Laura: It is rewarding as a technician to have my patients see real improvements to their skin, and I am glad that they receive benefit from a recommendation that I’ve made. It is also very interesting for me to have contact with so many different skin types and conditions. It is rewarding to work with these skin types and conditions directly and to be an aid in the process of correcting different concerns.
Doctor V: For whom would you recommend a microdermabrasion vs. a peel?
Laura: I would recommend a micro to a patient who is simply looking to maintain the integrity of their skin or to help alleviate some minor problems such as impurities, congestion, or a devitalized, dull appearance. Microdermabrasion is also great to help to even the tone of the skin, to correct minor texture problems with the skin, and to create a more youthful appearance. I recommend chemical peels for patients who have more complicated concerns – things like moderate to severe acne, acne scarring, or pigmentation problems due to sun damage.
Doctor V: How often do most people have microdermabrasion done?
Laura: The majority of patients see the best improvement to their skin when they are on a regular maintenance schedule of having a treatment approximately once every 4 to 6 weeks.