Excess Perspiration – Hyperhidrosis
Serving Hamilton, Stoney Creek, Grimsby and surrounding areas
The Facts about Hyperhidrosis
- Hyperhidrosis, or excessive sweating, is a condition that affects millions of people around the world
- Uncontrolled sweating can occur in various parts of the body including the face, hands, feet or underarms
- Although high temperatures or stress can increase perspiration, they don’t cause hyperhidrosis
- Instead, hyperhidrosis may be an inherited trait that stops the body from properly regulating its temperature
- Until now, excessive sweating has been difficult to control
- Finally, there is a long-lasting treatment for hyperhidrosis that works
Injections for Hyperhidrosis
- Unlike topical treatments, injections target sweating at its source
How effective is it?
- Patients treated with injections notice a remarkable improvement in their symptoms
How long does it Last?
- After the first treatment, the effects of injections lasts an average of 8 months
- For nearly 40% of patients, injections reduces sweating for more than one year
- The amount of time may vary
- When your symptoms return, it would be time for another treatment
Is it Safe?
- The most common side effects with injections for axillary hyperhidrosis were perceived increase in sweating in areas other than the underarms (4.5%), pain (1.7%) or hot flushes (1%)
- This is considered to be a very safe procedure with a very low incidence of side effects
What areas can be treated?
- Injections are used to treat localized areas of sweating
- They work the best for underarm sweating
- Dr. Vignjevic does not use injections to treat hyperhidrosis of the palms, soles or scalp
- Injections CANNOT be used to treat sweating over the whole body (e.g. back, legs) or very large areas
Will my drug plan pay for the treatment?
- Several private drug plans will pay for the cost of the Injections
- The medication costs between $420.00 and $840.00, depending on how large an area is being treated
- There is also an additional cost to have the procedure performed
- This is usually not covered
- The cost is approximately $225 for both underarms, plus HST
- The government drug plan (e.g. Seniors, Social Assistance) does not cover either the cost of the medication or proceudre for hyperhidrosis
Do I need a referral to make an appointment to see the doctor?
- If you have not seen the doctor before, or if it has been more than one year since your last visit, you will require a referral from another doctor
- If you have seen Dr. Vignjevic within the past 12 months, please phone the office directly to make an appointment
How long does the procedure take?
- Approximately 15 to 30 minutes
- You can bathe, shower, drive or go back to work immediately afterward
Which aesthetic products or procedures can be combined with injections for hyperhidrosis?
Laser Hair Removal
Almost any area can be treated, including:
- Genital areas
- Any colour of skin can be treated, although the laser works best for dark hair on light coloured skin
- The laser does not work for blonde or white hair
- There is NO laser or IPL machine at this time that is effective for white or blonde hair
- To learn more about laser hair removal, please click here